Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Prospect of Death?

So I don't know how many of you actually read Newsweek, or at the very least see the cover. This past week's cover article was on Billy Graham. Yes, that Billy Graham. And in the tagline, is the phrase "The Prospect of Death." Now this is something that perplexes me. I had always considered the word prospect to be used with something like 'the prospect of retirement.'

Here's Webster's: 4 a : the act of looking forward : ANTICIPATION b : a mental picture of something to come : VISION c : something that is awaited or expected : POSSIBILITY d plural (1) : financial expectations (2) : CHANCES

I suppose the usage could be in the sense of looking forward, especially considering Graham's position as a preacher. But every other definition makes it seem more as a choice of options. As far as I know, death is not an option, although I suppose that is where Graham's sprituality would come in. Although it seems slightly inappropriate, from the viewpoint of supposedly unbiased journalism, to push that sort of agenda, for lack of a better word. Or perhaps Graham merely steered the interview that way.

You know what the funny part in all of this is? I didn't even read the article. I just kind of skipped around it. Truth be told, I've become more of a Business Week man these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home